Monday, March 8, 2010

Pizza rut?


Full disclosure (part deux). Today my friend had an IM status about trying a “pizzacone.” A quick trip to Google, and the recipe plagiarism cogs were a-turning. The pizza cone is just what it sounds like – cone of crust filled with all the pizza goodies you’ve come to know and love. You can read about it here or here or here.

So, in the time-honored tradition of attempting to re-create restaurant foods at home (see Red Lobster ® cheddar bay biscuits or Cinnabons ™), I thought, “Heck, I can do this.”

Enter 1 tube of wheat grands biscuits, 3 sausage links, a huge pile of spinach, 1 small can of tomato sauce, and some mozzarella. I first split the biscuits in half, squished them into a muffin tin, poked them all over with a fork, and sent them into a 375 oven. The fork poking, of course, did nothing. After about 10 minutes in the oven, I had 12 muffin shaped biscuits (not dainty conical shells). The fork came back into play and made quick work of the crust innards. The guts came out really easily, actually. Meanwhile, I browned up the sausage (I like my sausages like I like my plates and tubs – hot), added the spinach to sauté and finally topped it off with the can of tomato sauce. A few herbs and garlic powder finished it off. I spooned this sausage mixture into the hollowed out biscuit-muffins, and sprinkled a little mozzarella on top.


Back into the oven, at a lower temp so nothing would burn, went the little muffins of pizza joy. About 5 minutes later the cheese had melted, and the faux-pizzacones were ready. They were pretty darn tasty and most came out of the tin easily. My only concern is that this idea isn’t the most original. But then again, maybe this is the kind of straight-forward simplicity the P-bury committee is looking for.

1 comment:

  1. YES! I think Pills folks would be into a variation on pizza. It will please the kids. It is familiar, and yet in a different shape. And easy to prepare. The perfect blend of peasant and gourmet aesthetics. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete