Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Osh Kosh Ganache!

Alright, let’s leave the gimmicks at the door today. All you get in this entry is some good old fashioned bake-off straight-talk.

About a week ago, I was reading a recipe in Cook’s Illustrated for these insane chocolate cupcakes. Long story short, Claire and I baked these suckers up, complete with chocolate ganache filling. I started to wonder, what else could you fill with such a lovely concoction? How about Pillsbury Crescent Rolls?

I decided to make a peanut butter ganache, and add chocolate chips. So over a double-boiler I combined pb, heavy cream, powdered sugar and semi-sweet chocolate chips. I popped open the roll of crescents, and got to filling. The crescent rolls weren’t really shaped nicely for stuffing, so I tried a couple options – rectangular little spring rolls, and triangular purses (complete with a rose on top using the extra dough).

For a final touch I sprinkled a mixture of sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon on top, and sent them into the 375 oven.
Now let me discuss the results. My exact words upon taking a bite of one of the still warm spring rolls were “HOLY F*CK!” They were, and are delicious! Oh golly, I guess there’s not much to dislike. I’m quite pleased with the texture, too. Could this be a winning submission? I plan on taking some into the office tomorrow to get outside opinions, but hopes are high that others are just as pleased as I.

6 comments:

  1. Eeek -- this sounds soooo good! Ganache is one of those things you hear about and assume is difficult to make, but really it's a snap. I think it has tons of potential as a Pils winner, for ease and something a little different, and certainly tasty. Maybe we can taste test some more this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I want one! Send me the ?recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, were you aware that you can now get Crescent dough sheets? It's just like Crescents, but not in the little triangles, in a big sheet, so you can cut them up any way you want. I read about it in Hungry Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't do any measuring, but next time i make this, i will. also, that's cool about the crescent sheets, but i don't think the Astoria Trade Fair will be getting those in stock any time soon...

    ReplyDelete