Wednesday, February 10, 2010

There's snow business...

Well...as long as we're off-topic. I too was out enjoying the snow today. Our office closed early (woo hoo!), so I took the opportunity to trek it over to one of my favorite Long Island City hot spots - Socrates Sculpture Park. The whole place was covered in a massive blanket of pristine snow. I of course upset this perfect landscape by running through the park snapping photographs of the various exhibits. The picture to the right is IN COLOR. Isn't that amazing??? Although I've been in New York for a solid 8 1/2 years, snow is still a novelty. I suppose if you don't truly experience something before age 18 or so, it will always remain a spectacle and mysterious.

Spending all that time outside, during the peak of the blizzard no less, I got a wee bit tired out and damp. So I decided the best way to warm up and re-fuel was whip up some potato leek soup. There's a recipe in the latest issue of Cooks Illustrated. About half the bowls in my entire apartment were used during the somewhat labor intensive process, but oh lordy, was it worth it. Simmered leeks and onion, hearty leek broth, thin sliced potato and a few chunks of toasted bread came together for one of the best soups I think I've ever had. My mom has accused me of describing everything I eat as "amazing" or "the best." I can't help it. It really is!! (Oh, those garlic croutons on top didn't hurt either.)
Well, the snow is still falling. I'm warm at home, with a belly full of leeks. American Idol will be on a mere 10 minutes. What else could a girl ask for?

2 comments: