Monday, February 8, 2010

98% Perspiration

Truly this was an exhausting weekend in terms of culinary energy expended. 5 recipes on Saturday (!!!!) -- which Claire has covered below.

In addition to that, I decided to re-vamp the "Chipotle Chicken Poppers" by substituting chorizo for the chicken, and adding a couple tablespoons of tomato sauce. That gave it a little more zing, which countered the mellow dinner rolls well. I also wasn't chintzy with the cheese on top or in the middle. The new "Chipotle Chorizo Poppers" accompanied me to Steve's Superbowl gathering, and while no one gave them a resounding hurrah, Oscar did say, "Yes. These are better. But they're still missing something." I'll take what I can get.

The idea for the re-vamp came from a recipe I had just read in Cooks Illustrated. That magazine is THE best cooking magazine. If you've never read through one, I highly recommend picking one up the next time you're lurking around Barnes and Nobel(s). (Yes, I see you there, in the cafe, sneakily perusing the latest issues of Car and Driver and Playstation Magazine.)

In fact, I've been finding more and more sources for inspiration. After several trips to the electronics and 99 cents stores, I've finally jerry-rigged my Internet connection to provide a few cable channels (shhhhh...lets keep that on the dl), including THE FOOD NETWORK! Now many mindless hours of foodie joy are mine. I'm really trying to be more inspired by Iron Chef America than Sandra Lee, but honestly it's all good. And with my awesome pre-owned 27" TV, I can actually see what they're cooking.

And let's not forget the mecca of P-bury inspiration: thisiswhyyourefat.com. Before this website was recommended to me, I hadn't even fathomed wrapping bacon around anything more than a meatball. Now I know that there are no limits to where saturated and trans fats can be snuck into a meal. Surly the judges would appreciate a masterpiece such as the donut upside-down cake.

My mission is to harness all this good energy and turn it into a winning recipe of my own.

2 comments:

  1. You make me wanna suit up in camo, stand back to back with Sandra, and blast off rounds of sugary dough as "Welcome to the Jungle" plays in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow!! Thisiswhyyourefat.com is a revelation! Bacon and chocolate, who'da thunk it?!

    ReplyDelete